Sedalia, Queen City of the Prairie, is the home of the Missouri State Fair and the Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival. Pettis County suffered during the Civil War from both regular military action and guerrilla activity. Early cattle drives terminated here before the railheads moved further west.
Sedalia Chamber of Commerce/CVB, Old KATY Depot, E 3rd St, Sedalia, MO 65301, (660)826-2222 or (800) 827-5295
- Missouri State Fair every August. Many other events such as car races, stock and horse shows, and exhibitions are held at the fairgrounds; links are available at the Sedalia Chamber of Commerce/CVB site.
- Sedalia is also the ‘Cradle of Ragtime Music,’ the home of Scott Joplin and the music publisher who first took a chance on his music. Each year starting the first Thursday in June, Sedalia hosts the Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival.
- Sedalia is a major stop along Missouri’s Katy Trail, the nation’s premier Rails to Trails conversion.
- Bothwell Lodge State Historic Site is just north of Sedalia
- Daum Museum of Contemporary Art hosts a major collection at State Fair Community College
- El Tapatio, excellent & authentic Mexican food, occasional fiestas with live music. 1705 W. Broadway, (660)827-5553.
- Wheel Inn, home of the Gooberburger, US-65 south.
- LeMaire’s Cajun Catfish & Seafood House, run by a real Cajun, US-50 west, (660)827-3563.
- Kehde BBQ, Hwy 65 S., where you can eat in a restored railway coach.
- Maple Leaf Antique Mall, 106 W. Main, (660)826-8383. Several others in immediate vicinity.
- Millie’s Pink Mall, 5915 S. Hwy 65, (660)826-7676.